Admission to the program is highly competitive. Applications to the Maurice R. Greenberg World Fellows Program are accepted from across sectors and around the world. Each class of Fellows is geographically balanced and representative of a wide range of professions, talents, and perspectives. The program runs from mid-August to mid-December. Fellows are required to be in residence at Yale for the duration of the program.
The application deadline for the 2019 Program has passed.
2019 applicants may log in and check the status of their application here.
Sign up to be notified when the 2020 Program application is available.
To be eligible, applicants must:
- be at least five, and typically not more than twenty, years into their careers, with demonstrated professional accomplishments at a regional, national, or international level, and a clear indication of future contributions and excellence. The average age of a Greenberg World Fellow is 39, though there is no minimum or maximum age limit.
- be fluent in English. An excellent command of the English language is essential.
- be a citizen of a country other than the United States. While dual citizens are eligible, preference is given to candidates whose work is focused outside the US.
Selection criteria include:
- An established record of extraordinary achievement and integrity;
- Commitment to engagement in crucial issues and to making a difference at the local, national, or international level;
- Promise of a future career of leadership and notable impact;
- Special capacity for critical, creative, entrepreneurial, and strategic thinking;
- Likelihood to benefit from participation in the program and to contribute to the global perspective on Yale’s campus;
- Commitment to a rigorous program of activities, to full-time residence at Yale for the entire duration of the program, and to mentoring students and speaking frequently on campus.
Application process overview:
- The application deadline for the 2019 Program was December 5, 2018 at 11:59 PM EST. No late applications will be accepted and extensions are not granted under any circumstances.
- The application for the 2020 Program will be available on this website in late 2019.
- Please note that application process for admission to the Greenberg World Fellows Program is entirely online. There are no paper forms to complete or mail.
- There is no application fee or other cost to apply.
- Prior to the deadline, you may work on your application at any time and submit it when you are ready. After creating an account and accessing the online application, you can upload materials and request your letters of recommendation.
- Applicants are required to submit a résumé/curriculum vitae (maximum 3 pages), a personal statement (maximum 1000 words), and three letters of recommendation. Applicants also have the option of submitting a brief video statement. Comprehensive instructions can be found within the online application once you create an account.
- Most questions about the program and the application process can be answered by reviewing this website and the common questions page. If your question is unanswered, you may contact staff at email@example.com. Please do not send multiple emails regarding one issue, and please do not email staff individually. We thank you for your patience in allowing staff adequate time to thoughtfully process your inquiries..
- A taxable stipend to cover the costs of living in New Haven
- A modest, furnished one- or two-bedroom apartment for the duration of the program
- Medical insurance
- Round-trip travel from home country